Monday, November 20, 2006

Chunky Stew

Creative Computing Minor Project
- What is OKI?

It took awhile, but my Creative Computing project is now blogged.



The following is an excerpt from my program note:

What is OKI? was built with the procedural programming language SuperCollider and is a real time composition. It combines noise with chaos, but uses the electric bass guitar. A psychedelic atmosphere is produced and desired. Some inspirations include Pink Floyd, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and the song 'Ultramarine' by Michael Brook from the soundtrack to the motion picture Heat.

What is OKI? incorporates methods such as granulation (automatic and manual, breakbeat cutting (created by Nick Collins), and streaming and processing live audio (from the bass guitar). It was a challenge to play and improvise on the bass and manipulate the code into a continuous, contrasting and dynamic composition.

The use of the bass guitar results in a work that is more lovable than it is professional. However, it is good and fun that the work can never be reproduced the same. The use of the bass guitar is based on a tempo of around 120 crotchet beats, but is not synchronised with the granulation that occurs.

The title What is OKI? is possibly obscure, but is appropriate.

The bass guitar is processed in the same way that it was for the Improvisation performances. I really liked the delay that the breakbeat cutting created, and it also gave a very clean tone to my bass. Maybe I should investigate this further, and not have to cart my bass amp around with me as much.

I think the Improvisations went well, but I was kind of distracted by the issues that were surrounding my major project at that point in time.

By the way, feel free to try and work out what my title means. Some people may know if they are observant...

Albums that made this blog possible:
The Band Geek Mafia by the Voodoo Glow Skulls

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home