Friday, October 06, 2006

Week 9 - Improvisation Project

In the lead-up to our group's improvisation performance I produced some work that I was fairly impressed with. Unfortunately, due to being in a class I did not get to properly test my SuperCollider patch with some of my team. This would have been useful. Prior to the beginning of the session, I managed to get a short period to test my patch, which required David to be playing his electric guitar. The results were pleasing, but not matched in the performance itself.

Our special guest was DJ Tr!p (Tyson Hopprich) and he was interesting, but I only payed attention for short periods of time. One thing I did get, which is possibly kind of obvious, is to have a pool of stuff to draw sound, etc. from. I went into the performance with only one functioning process for creating sound. As our last improvised piece demonstrated, I was made redundant by minimal usage of the electric guitar.

Throughout the performances, I mainly had at least one eye fixed on my input meter of my PB to see how much electric guitar signal I had to process. This was rarely strong. I think that my processing worked from time to time, but I found it very difficult to hear and distinguish what I was doing. My positioning, and the positioning of the monitors and guitar amplifier were probably not ideal.

The performances themselves were reasonably impressive. The piano (Matt), keyboards (Dragos) and electric guitar (David) as well as what DJ Tr!p was sampling were the most easily distinguished elements of the mix in my opinion. However, for much of the time I was focused on trying to locate myself in the mix.

REFERENCES:
Hopprich, Tyson. 2006. Improvisation Workshop. Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, EMU Space, University of Adelaide, 5 October.

Albums that made this blog possible:
Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home