Wednesday, September 20, 2006

One Term Remaining

This entry, I feel must begin with our improvisation guest Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh in Forum. I walked in and seeing everyone on the ground, I sat down as well. From that point I knew there was going to be some pain during the two hours. Finding a comfortable position for at least 10 minutes was a challenging task. However, the improvisation party for the week probably had it a lot worse because it appeared that there was not much movement. Anyway, I listened to the doctor, but did not take a word in. Mostly because I did not understand him or even try to. The improvisation was reasonably impressive. I spent a fair amount of time trying to work out what each performer was doing, and I did like the high vocal work coming from Poppi's mouth. Eventually, I got tired of this, rolled onto my stomach and shut my eyes until the performance ended. The first week back will be my group's turn so like I have said previously, I need to get some more material coming from my computer.

It is time (possibly) to publish some thoughts relating to the first term of the second semester of my third year of a Bachelor of Music Studies degree at The University of Adelaide. I have found SuperCollider thoroughly challenging. In each class I have taken detailed notes, but have rarely produced a patch that works the way it is meant to and this sucks. I find it difficult to work out what is wrong after the commas, and semi-colons have been worked out. The help files make things seem worse. In second year, my problem-solving skills were useful in achieving results in Max/MSP, but they have not been attuned to code. Thus, trying to extend and develop the code that is presented in class seems to be unlikely at present. What does this mean for my assignment? 2 things: the first is that I get onto it straight away, and the second is that I take what works and what I think can work, and try to take them to a higher place.

I thought this semester of Audio Arts was going to be the big bang of my Music Technology classes, but at this stage I am feeling dubious. Good points are often discussed in class, but I feel that much of what is said is particularly useful if I was already working as a sound designer (at this point I am not). Basically, I think that there has been too much discussion and not enough practical work in class. Starting the project would be desirable, but not yet having a movie to think about makes this difficult.

I have kind of cruised through this first term, so hopefully I will find some purpose and resolve, and enter the last term of my undergraduate degree with all guns blazing.

One term remaining!

REFERENCES:
Klose, Ashley. 2006. Sound Design(6). Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 14 September.

Sardeshmukh, Dr. Chandrakant. 2006. Improvisation Workshop. Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, EMU Space, University of Adelaide, 14 September.


Albums that made this blog possible:
The Virgin Suicides by Air.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 am, Blogger @*} said...

Jo, i think AA has been somewhat of a drag this term. I imagine it would have been better to get someone in who was working more at the "ground" level, i.e. already teaching as well as practicing their craft...cest la vie and the nature of this course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home