Friday, August 25, 2006

Program Notes From All Presenters

Semester 2 appears to be rolling along quite fast, which is not a bad thing. Information about graduations have been posted out, and I realise that securing a job as soon as possible after I finish my last assignment will be important. Anyway, four people presented in Forum and all four passed out program notes. The session was humorous, given that Tim's piece did not match his program note. At least I got to hear it for the first time since 2004 post-Forum, and it was cool. Analogue 'musique concrete' in my opinion works better than that of the digital variety.

Sitting in the front row, the pieces sounded fairly diverse, but all presenters included a musique concrete work. It was hard to catch the described ternary form of Jake Morris's 'New Surroundings', and I think another listen would be useful to experience the sounds used. Ben Probert's palindromic-titled piece 'Vocalacov' was interesting due to its vocal structures, and it displayed a different perspective to the genre. I can't remember a lot about William Revill's piece, but I think it would be really interesting if his piece had been created on analogue tape.

SuperCollider can take MIDI inputs. This was discovered in the lab, when Christian introduced the topic for the week 5. A MIDI keyboard can be used as a control source, and as a mechanism for real-time work. The processes seem to be fairly straightforward, but I've found SuperCollider to be challenging over the last few weeks. Hopefully a successful patch will make its way into the 'Stew', during the next week.

Watching TV this week (ABC2), I saw an animation that Ashley Klose did the sound for. However, I noticed Peter Combe's name first. In the Sound Design class this week, further discussions were had. It is really important to know when to come in with sound and music. It seems like this is more of a process that can't be taught, that it is more intuitive and based on experience. Next week we are going into the studio and we might be doing some 'foley' work.

That is all.

REF
ERENCES:
Haines, Christian. 2006. MIDI Input. Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 25 August.


Klose, Ashley. 2006. Sound Design(4). Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 25 August.


Whittington, Stephe
n. 2006. Forum Presentations. Presentations presented at the Electronic Music Unit, EMU Space, University of Adelaide, 25 August.

Albums that made this blog possible:

Howl by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

1 Comments:

At 10:47 am, Blogger unknown said...

Semester 2 does seem to be rolling along quickly, doesn't it? I think this weeks SC exercise will be simpler than the previous weeks. My only beef is that since I don't have any devices at home, I have to check my code in macLab before posting.

Glad to hear you're ready to make some noise in improv forum. I look forward to listening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home