Friday, August 18, 2006

The Title of Next Week's Blog Will be Shorter Than this One

Creative Computing results were delivered during week 4 and there was little in my PDF that surprised me. I made reference in my previous weekly blog entry that SuperCollider (SC) compositions need a significant amount of time for a real dynamic creation. One week is sufficient for creating the sounds, and another week for comprehensive structure and development. This leads to me the third week of student presentations in Forum where Henry presented his SC work. Despite the use of different sound materials it kind of developed in a similar fashion to my piece. Once the sounds are all stated, they just keep being presented in alternate patterns. Thus, there is this element of unpredictability combined with “I’ve heard this before.”

Again, I am thankful for the contrast of the works of the different presenters. Matthew Mazzone played his electronic and techno pieces, which seemed to sound fairly typical of what I’ve heard of this genre, and may well suit a computer game. Contrasting was Daniel Murtagh’s audio arts recording. His “heavy metal” song was enjoyable and I rated the vocals highly, whilst the work needed some more depth.

GUI controls were the focus of SC and emerged as a simpler topic than last weeks section on Arrays. Sometime next week I will post the code and a picture of a successful attempt at controlling granulation through a GUI controller.

I think I will leave discussing Sound Design until the midpoint of the semester (in 2 weeks time) and present any comments and issues that are possibly developing at that point. There will be an exercise posted in the next few days.

REFERENCES:
Haines, Christian. 2006. GUI. Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 17 August.

Klose, Ashley. 2006. Sound Design(3). Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 17 August.

Whittington, Stephen. 2006. Forum Presentations. Presentations presented at the Electronic Music Unit, EMU Space, University of Adelaide, 17 August.

Albums that made this blog possible:
Cosmo’s Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home