Friday, August 04, 2006

Four Music Tech Classes in One Day

I can no longer summarise the week of Music Technology as all my classes, not including Perspectives fall on a Thursday. I am happy with this except for the fact that there are classes occurring in the MacLab when I have breaks. I also need to make sure I'm in bed early enough on Wednesday night to be 'refreshed' for all these classes.

First up on Thursday was the new Sound Design class with Ashley Klose, which was mostly a discussion, followed by an outline of devices, which allow good sound/music design. I'm definitely keen to discover where this class will take us. We are being given weekly blog exercises, so that will be done and blogged at some later point. It is becoming apparent that I will be doing about four blog entries per week (day). The project for Forum requires “reports about the work in progress in your blog.” Any further comments that I have regarding this project will be in a separate blog entry.

Presentations from students occurred in the second half of Forum. This will be a recurring event for most of this term. After what seemed like the usual technical difficulties/issues Luke and John (both first year students) made their presentations. Luke's work was intended to challenge the musical ideals behind 'musique concrete'. However, if he reads this blog entry, I wouldn't mind him answering whether or not he feels that he has established the foundations of traditional western music within 'musique concrete'? John's first work 'Performance Symmetry' was short and was not really what I would consider 'musique concrete', but was put together well. This was followed by his self-described 'gratuitous' guitar piece made for the Audio Arts project, which managed to keep my attention.

I will be flying the flag next week for the third year Music Tech students by being the first to present. It is hard to decide what I will present, especially having not yet received any feedback on my projects last semester. I find it bizarre that when I think about presenting I feel that playing my SuperCollider work is the safe option. A 6-minute work that isn't extremely exciting won't be unexpected. I ask myself, whether I want to play one of the rock songs that I recorded, and do not really know. So, whoever reads this will have to wait until Thursday to see what I have decided.

A quick mention goes to the SuperCollider class. The class was about Splicing and Dicing. I will do the required reading, and comment further once I've experimented with the exercise and post it in another blog entry within the next five days or so.

REFERENCES:
Haines, Christian. 2006. Splice and Dice. Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 3 August.

Klose, Ashley. 2006. Introduction. Tutorial presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 3 August.

Whittington, Stephen and Harris, David. 2006. Forum Workshop. Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, EMU Space, University of Adelaide, 3 August.

Whittington, Stephen. 2006. Forum Presentations. Presentations presented at the Electronic Music Unit, EMU Space, University of Adelaide, 3 August.


Albums that made this blog possible:
Friction by Stavesacre.

1 Comments:

At 1:11 pm, Blogger Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

To answer your question Adrien, yes I do. Although I feel if I had a greater period of time I could have expanded upon the concept greatly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home