Saturday, June 24, 2006

What's In the Stew? Electro Acoustic Composition or 6 Minutes of SuperCollider Magic

Everything is now in the stew. This is the last entry for the first semester, and is the major project blog. My major project was created in SuperCollider (SC) using sounds generated in SuperCollider, as well as a sound file brought into SC. Using a chaotic noise function, an ambient layer was created, providing a foundation for the rest of the work. The composition is called 'Horses', but I don't think there is any real correlation between the title and its ambient nature. However, the title has been made in reference to the inspiration for my score and compositional structure. This inspiration came from an old graphic calculator game, which involved four horses racing for the benefit of the betmakers. The resulting composition is a layered work and here it is for all those in taking a listen.

Horses
6'25





Here is a picture of what I was doing when I should have been doing my major project.




I am unsure as to how much inspiration I got from doing it.

Albums that made this blog possible:
Hourly, Daily by You Am I.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 pm, Blogger unknown said...

Hi Adrian. I happened to notice a distribution of events in your piece that's similar to the behavior of billiard balls rebounding off cushions. Maybe playing pool did inspire you after all? Some of the sounds in your piece are really interesting. What technique did you use to synthesise the glockenspiel-y sound? That had a really soft, warm quality about it.

You might be interested in this link: http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~nc272/didactic.html
It has a couple of SC tutes written by klipp av, the guys coming over for ACMC. Hopefully see you there. Enjoy the break (gosh darn we earned it!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home