Friday, October 13, 2006

Week10 - Improvisation Project - 33 Days

Two hours dedicated to our improvisation groups was possibly a good idea. A chance to focus after our sessions with master improvisers. I know that I needed some good time to spend with the group. It was an interesting session, but so far every session has been interesting. I think that the nature of the task has brought up a range of different scenarios. Each week has been different.

I note from this week's session that we are still unable to achieve solid input from every member. It is a challenge to get everyone instrumented up and stimulated. We performed last week with DJ Tr!p and with only two weeks of classes remaining, I am unsure as to what we need to achieve before the end.

I brought my bass guitar specially for our improvisation. I don't usually like bringing it with me because I always feel self-conscious with an instrument when I am in the music school. My two-stringed bass guitar (two strings were absent) was used throughout the session. Initially it was used through the ring modulation SuperCollider (SC) patch that I ran David's guitar through last week. I had more success on this attempt as I had a sound that could be isolated in the mix. The patch created an unstable sound due to its modulation and I altered the patch to take my bass signal straight to the output. I was reasonably impressed with the was SC processes my signal and used this sound for the rest of our jams. Ultimately, a compressor for the signal would have been useful. Perhaps I can build a SC patch that includes its own compressor.

I was greatful that I could contribute much more to the group with my two-string bass. The two strings did limit me in my creative output and I tended to repeat myself a lot. I was always going to struggle to have much influence on changing the direction when things grew stagnant. On a number of occasions I stopped playing to see if things would change, which rarely did. I did enjoy some of the interplay I had with Ben, who was fully functional. The introduction of some disco elements was cool and also the Sunshine of Your Love riff. This reminded me a little of what Derek Pascoe mentioned/demonstrated in his session. However, I don't recall there being any mention of anything that occurred in the three previous Forum sessions.

Every day is a new day, so I'm interested to see where our next Improv session may go and if it will be successful.

Albums that made this blog possible:
Figure 8 by Elliott Smith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home